In 2004 I had this idea in my head to paint a Pieta on the apartheid wall and fortunately, I was able to realize that dream in 2006. Click here to see the original on the apartheid wall. Unfortunately, the mural was spray painted over with lots of graffiti and I've wanted to redo it ever since and was particularly motivated by the tragic loss of precious lives from the Great March of Return. One feels very helpless on the other side of the world, watching people being massacred for participating in demonstrations that, where we live, would not be met by such lethal means. Those of us living in liberal democracies should never take for granted the hard-won freedoms we have.
• Acid-free, PH-neutral, poly-cotton base
• 20.5 mil thick poly-cotton blend canvas
• Canvas fabric weight: 13.9 oz/yd2(470 g/m²)
• Hand-stretched over solid wood stretcher bars
• Matte finish coating
• 1.5″ (3.81 cm) deep
• Mounting brackets included